BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Thank you Starbucks

I read an article in the paper today about a woman who is kicking her Starbucks coffee habit becuase she was offended by a statement on the side of a cup. Apparently Starbucks has started an effort to collect different viewpoints and spur discussion (www.starbucks.com/wayiseeit ). Here is the statement that offended her:

"Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help? As cognitive beings, why would we ask something that may well be a figment of our imaginations for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure."

The Starbucks coffee habit kicking woman says "as someone who loves God, I was so offended by that. I don't think there needs to be religious dialogue on it. I just want coffee."

And I don't like the statement on that cup either and I love God too but I think He is big enough to handle this. I mean, is God more offended because this got printed? Because you and I read this thought? I guess I really have risked everything on my belief in someone I've never seen. That's the beauty of free will.

The great theologian Morgan Freeman said it best I think in the movie Bruce Almighty. Jim Carrey is given the task of being God while God ( Morgan Freeman ) goes on vacation. This is because Carrey thinks he can do God's job better so God gives him a shot and says he can do anything but mess with free will. Well Jim messes up his relationship with his girlfriend and is talking to God about it. In exasperation Carrey bluts out "why can't I just make people love me" to which God responds "welcome to my world son."

So thanks for the conversation Starbucks. This is just another example of how this little coffee house grown up really knows how to market a product. I mean it got them some free press in the newspaper.............oh and on this blog too. Dang they're smart!

0 comments: