BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

WWJB (where would Jesus be)

Tonight on my way home from my family's usual Wednesday night outing I passed by several churches.

Their parking lots were almost full. On a Wednesday night in suburbia.

And I really don't know a lot about Jesus but I'm pretty sure I know where he wouldn't be on a Wednesday night.

In church.

As I read about him in the Gospels I think I am coming to know him as someone who would more likely be found in a bar on a night like this rather than church.

I know committe meetings are necessary and so are bible studies. I'm not saying these things shouldn't happen. I'm just wondering if Jesus is tired of us studying the bible rather than living it. Is anyone else done with "doing" church? Then let's go out and "be" the church.

Any Christians out there offended by this? I hope so. Feel free to bite back.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
I love your blog and read it frequently. I do understand your point, and agree with you except for one idea that I think you need to be careful on.... that is your expression that you have to be "out" somewhere in order to "be the church", and your presumption that Jesus wouldn't be there is not correct! He did take time to teach and train his people.

See you don't really know the real reason for the full parking lots. Maybe all those cars in the suburbia church parking lot could have been just meeting and car-pooling out to a service project,"being the church" as you put it, or those folks could have been in a half-time or finicial peace class in preperation for living generously with margin and perparing for full time kingdom service.

(I believe you did both) and God is very excited by your new commitments.

I think in order to "be the chuch" you must have that strong relationship with Jesus (know who your serving) with a combination of faith and deeds in service. Not just be out of the building in Jesus name.

Your view point just came across to be a little judgemental. Even though I know that's not what you intended. You presumed that only committe meetings and / or bible studies were the only activities taking place and they aren't worthy of Jesus time or ours.

Sometimes "doing chuch" is preparing for ministry.

Blessings to You
Jim