BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 24, 2008

Unreligion

Went to Guardian Angels Catholic Church yesterday for my nephew's baptism. I am sorry for my critical spirit. I was uncomfortable, which in many ways is a good thing. But uncomfortable in the sense that I expected to feel welcome among other Christians. I did not understand many things about the service and had no idea what they believe about communion. It is my understanding that it is only for confirmed Catholics. So I did not go forward. It is also my understanding that divorced people may not take it. That is what I thought of when I saw one woman remain kneeling in the pew.

I don't get that.

Jesus first announced his Messiahship to a Samaritan woman who had been divorced multiple times. He offered her living water. Water he asked her to draw from the well. Water that, according to the religion of the day, was defiled because she, a Samaritan, had touched the bucket it came from.

Another critical thought: many of the people entering the church made the sign of the cross on themselves after dipping their finger in some water. Holy water I presume. Maybe Jesus' miracle of turning water into wine was a statement against ritual cleansing?

Lord please forgive my critical spirit. I am not ant-catholic. Just anit-religion.

0 comments: