BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 14, 2008

La Catacumbas

Last Friday I toured The Monastery San Francisco in the historical district of Lima, Peru. It was built in the 16th century for the Franciscan friary. I saw paintings from 1691, Sevillian tiles dating from 1621 and books as old as 1571. I was amazed to find the library holding these books to be open, without any climate control, and natural sunlight pouring in from the windows and skylights. The paintings were on a portico area on the outside of the building......just hanging there. Incredible.


The catacombs were amazing. Discovered in 1943, they are believed to hold some 25,000 bodies. It was the burial grounds until the first cemetery was opened outside Lima in 1808. It also had crypts where wealthy benefactors are buried. They are just like something you see on TV. Skulls and femurs everywhere ( they are the most dense and take the longest to decay ) and most North Americans are too tall to fit, so I had to hunch over for most of this part of the tour. If you would like to take a virtual tour go to http://www.museocatacumbas.com/

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.