BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

More Ancient Relevance

I love the vivid descriptions of creation and nature as God sort of rips into Job in chapter 38. I am especially struck by v.12 "Have you ever commanded the morning to appear and caused the dawn to rise in the east?".











and v. 31&32 "Can you direct the movement of the stars - binding the cluster of the Pleiades or loosening the cords of Orion? Can you direct the sequence of the seasons or guide the Bear with her cubs across the heavens?" By the way the reference to the Bear is most likely Ursa Major. It means "Great Bear" in Latin. The seven brightest stars form the Big Dipper.
Here is what strikes me: I've always love a good sunrise. And while I'm not much into astronomy, I try to watch a lunar eclipse or a meteor shower if possible. I always thought of these things being on auto-pilot so to speak. I see God as having created them and then sitting back with a good cup of coffee and then just watching them.
I don't think that's how it works. I believe God creates the sunrise new every day. When it's time, it's like He says "Okay, now do it again." And like a symphony director, he orchestrates the movement of the stars across the sky. That makes these events sacred rather than automatic. I need a renewed appreciation for creation.










































































































































0 comments: